Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Women's Lib: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

As one of my co-worker friends and I pondered how much we hated our jobs the other day, we wondered, WHY? Why did we think it was going to be such a great idea to get all liberated and stuff? Do you realize that most of my generation really only gave themselves more work to do?

Now, don't get me wrong. Yay woman's lib, and being able to make choices, and do what we want, and vote. Not sure how that's really helped us out, in the long run. But seriously, who thought it would be a good idea to have to work all day, go to the grocery store, pick the kids up from daycare, cook supper, clean up supper, clean up after the kids and then have the energy to make your husband "happy" before bed? Huh? Who thought that was a good idea?

Some of you may think I'm being a little over dramatic. But you are probably the ones who have really great hubbies who help cook dinner (besides hamburgers), and will help wash the dishes, and put the kids to bed, and help you clean up the toys. And then gives you a full-body message to help you relax and make you "happy".

But, in reality, what woman's lib did was just pile a 9-5 job on top of everything else we have to do. I know, because my Neanderthal of a husband point blank told me just last winter that it was his duty to take care of the outdoor chores, and my duty to take care of the "indoor" chores.

That's right ladies. My DUTY was to clean up after his lazy butt, cooking and cleaning and making him "happy"! And then what does he do? He DITCHES me mid winter to go gallivanting around the country by taking on an over-the-road driving job. So, now who gets to shovel the snow? ME!

The only good thing was I only had to pick up after myself. And in reality, it turned out to be less work just taking care of myself AND shoveling, then cleaning up after him, while he did the shoveling. Which seriously people, is not all that often lately. Especially since he's decided we will survive walking through a walkway covered in snow and ice.

So, I have to cut this short. I just got a call from the garage to come out and work on my work bench stool. Because it's mine, and therefore I have to do it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my hubby. He's great, he gets me propane and oxygen for my torches, he makes really good meatloaf and hamburgers. But he doesn't really lift a finger in the the household department. I have learned to do plumbing, electrical, and carpentry. The first two I learned from my husband, the latter from my dad.

So, I'm off to do the manly thing...get the power tools and get the job done right by having a woman do it...ME!!

No comments: